Thursday 25 July 2013

Delays

So I've hit a rut. 

If you are kind enough to subscribe/follow/link from the OCA textiles blogroll/stumble upon my blog regularly then you might be thinking 'what the heck' there are loads of posts dating months back that I haven't seen...?

Thats because blogger allows you to backdate posts and I'd rather present my learning blog in the timescales sketches/work/visits happened. I've also let the updating mount up until it became a bit of an elephant in the room.

Two other sticking points

1: I dislike French Knots. The stitch itself I have become more proficient at and more appreciative of. I have however come to the conclusion that when working french knots in large quantities they are a phenomenal waste of time and I do not have the patience to be dealing with them. I have been working on that "sample based on imagery" at the end of Stage 6 for about a month. Because I get bored of it and always have something more pressing or exciting to do

2: As well as my main job I 'moonlight' as a design company. I will hopefully add textile based design in amongst the other types of design I do, including websites, applications, interiors,products and bespoke design for companies needing anything and everything. But right now I'm working on quite a large contract that will double my 'main job' payslip for a good few months. Thats a large chunk towards the elusive house deposit... so as ever poor textiles takes a back seat.

I've still been sketching many many times a day, but they are not really related to textiles as the little note at the bottom of this sketchbook page shows - I'm kind of admonishing myself here!


I can reveal that I finished the french knot sample based on imagery (whilst at work) about a week ago.

I have caught up with my blog posts.

I know what I'm going to be looking at for my research point.

I am re-inspired after looking at all my work.

I have not done any of the following that I should be doing at this point:
  • Note down colour combinations that seem to have a special energy for you: use any medium available i.e. paint, crayons, coloured papers, fabrics and yarns*
  • Record your colour responses to changing moods and feelings
  • Add to your collection of resource material with focus on colour
  • Put combinations together i.e. yarns/fabrics/coloured papers
  • Try out your colour media for use on textiles (though I have researched and gathered them at least)

*With a small amount of humility I will say however that I do regularly 'pin' images that appeal to me in terms of colour and they are on my 'Colour' board. When I look at this board as a whole I feel tranquil, calm, amazed, inspired, blissfully happy, almost aroused - is that safe to say?! Does anyone else feel that when they look at the colour combos they love?! 

And is it OK that I'm using a modern, technical, online way of recording my notes rather than traditional paper and glue? Is it too fast? Does that mean I don't have the required time to absorb each image, to process it, to learn from it? Yes and no!

No comments:

Post a Comment