Friday 29 March 2013

Project 3 Stage 2 - Colour!


On to Assignment 2! We're now on building a visual vocabulary and step 1 is Colour.

I really liked the quotes in the learning folder by Johannes Itten:

1: "He who wants to become a master of colour must see, feel and experiene each individual colour in its many endless combinations with all other colours. Colours must have a mystical capacity for spiritual expression without being tied to objects."

2: "If unknowing you are able to create masterpieces in colour then unknowledge is your way. But if you are unable to create masterpieces in colour out of your unknowledge then you aught to look for knowledge"

I've visited basic colour theory many times in various courses, most recently when getting a diploma in Professional Interior Design. Each time I have half boredom from repetition and half enthusiasm for revisiting the simple concepts concerning colour.

NB, I've noticed through looking ahead that we look into colour aesthetically (colour block exercises), psychologically (use colour to express a mood or feeling), and scientifically (mixing of colours to create others) but I haven't seen symbolically.

I do know a little about symbolic use of colour - purple for royal for example, but if the course doesn't force it in an exercise it might be worth exploring this on my own.

I tried different versions of mixing. The biggest issue in paints of course is  that an equal mix of colours does not give you the 'theory' colour - red and blue does not make purple for example! Thats why an artist doesn't set off to create a masterpiece with red, blue, yellow, black and white paints!



Next comes Exercise 1 & 2 where there is lots of cutting and sticking. I feel that the process aims to do three things:

1: Show that the higher the contrast in colour, the more the small square 'jumps out'.

2: Show that though red, yellow and blue are primary colours they are not 'equal' - yellow is the lightest, then blue, then red. At least in my perception.

3. Help you to see which colour combinations 'sing' to you. In my case, very little did. I believe this is because I prefer muted colours and so every combination looks to horribly harsh to me, apart from those using white/grey/potentially black. Again, perhaps I should revisit this with muted shades, with both muted and bright little squares.



Exercise 2 used grey squares. This is where I find the difference between the apparent darkness/lightness of the primary and secondary colours the most.




No comments:

Post a Comment