Wednesday 16 May 2012

More artists and sketchbook pages

I had some new leaf shaped craft punches so played around with some old colour photocopies and silver packaging bits an bobs (a security sticker held down with clear film and the underside of a yoghurt pot lid)

Here are some sketches that I did during work - One thing I've realised is that I have to have a sketchbook or at least blank paper with me everywhere otherwise I end up losing ideas or I sketch on paper that ends up needing to be ripped out and stuck into a sketchbook later!

I liked how these pages worked - first I drew lines in various patterns, then coloured various spaces in different patterns for each. I then developed some further when I realised I needed to extend it to see where its going. I liked working in this way - it felt logical and I felt like I 'discovered' things that I would never have come across. I especially think some of the patterns that I drew larger (in green) might serve useful when I get to weaving.

Here I sketched my handmade flowers that I'm currently making for my wedding. I've been thinking how I'll use them afterwards and have been thinking of a wall hanging - so I was just jotting down a few ideas. On the right hand page I was trying to pin down exactly what 'textiles' might be. Its obviously a huge field so I just needed to brainstorm a bit!

Here are a few more artists that I looked at (Magritte, Renoir, Lichtenstein and Munch) - I wanted to expand past just the suggested three. I could have gone on forever but I have to reign myself in at some point! Some artists I just wrote a few notes but I drew/imitated occasionally. 
I like how Lichtenstein works with his comic book style - I was thinking in a textiles context and kept coming back to the idea of sequins to make that particular shading style.

No comments:

Post a Comment