Tuesday 22 May 2012

Project 1, Stage 2, Exercise 3

Exercise 3 involved using other media to make marks - first in an exploratory way then coming back to the expressive way. 

I tried out all the bits and bobs I have - pencils, watercolour pencils, crayons, watercolour crayons, ink pens, felt tip pens, metallic pens, watercolour, gouache, acrylic, spray paint and chalks. I tried on a few different papers but had to limit myself a little bit. I knew there are millions of different combinations but I started to get a little bored so I moved onto the expressive marks. 

I enjoyed the expressive marks but making such a huge mess, tidying as I went and getting bits and bobs out and away again takes time! I felt drawn to some experiments and felt that others were just ugly! I find it strange that I find the 'sad', 'slow' and 'smooth' expressive swatches the most appealing too - I guess its because I like those colours and like the calmness. Sometimes I'd have an idea in my head, set to it and found that the result didn't really express what I was trying to at all - but I guess that it what its all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment