Friday 18 May 2012

Why make marks?

In these sketchbook pages I've looked at one last artist (Pollock) and I explored the question that I had been asking myself a little bit - Why make marks?? 

I had been thinking this to myself regarding the exercises as at first I thought it was just to get us 'warmed up' and to start becoming familiar with drawing tools but the more I've been working and also with reading I've realised that its so much more than that! 

a) Sketching and mark making is essential in gathering and developing ideas
b) Skills learnt now might be directly used in a final piece
c) Drawing is much faster than stitching so it is essential if you don't want to take years developing textiles!

I think this last point c made me finally embrace mark making - I've been specifically trying to draw fabric and stitching as a consequence of this. I've also got more enthusiasm all of a sudden as I think I've had that little niggling voice at the back of my head saying that the embroidery/stitching side of textiles is too slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment